How we protect your privacy
DATA PROTECTION POLICY
Standard Life Wealth needs to collect and use personal data about people including past, present and prospective customers in order to carry on its business and meet its customers' requirements effectively. We recognise that the lawful and correct treatment of personal data is very important to successful operations and to maintaining our customers' confidence in ourselves.
Any personal data which we collect, record or use in any way whether it is held on paper, on computer or other media will have appropriate safeguards applied to it to ensure that we comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 ("Act"). We fully endorse and adhere to the eight principles of Data Protection as set out in the Act. These principles state that personal data must be:
- • fairly and lawfully processed
- • processed for specified and lawful purposes and not in any other way which would be incompatible with those purposes
- • adequate, relevant and not excessive
- • accurate and kept up to date
- • not kept for longer than is necessary
- • processed in line with the data subject's rights
- • kept secure
- • not transferred to a country which does not have adequate data protection laws.
Our purpose for holding personal data and a general description of the categories of people and organisations to which we may disclose it are listed in the Data Protection register. We will not disclose information to any third party unless we believe it is lawful to do so.
You may inspect this or obtain a copy from the Information Commissioner's Office. In order to meet the requirements of the principles, we will:
- • observe the conditions regarding the fair collection and use of personal data
- • meet our obligations to specify the purposes for which personal data is used
- • collect and process appropriate personal data only to the extent that it is needed to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
- • ensure the quality of personal data used
- • apply strict checks to determine the length of time personal data is held
- • ensure that the rights of individuals about whom the personal data is held can be fully exercised under the Act
- • take appropriate security measures to safeguard personal data
- • ensure that personal data is not transferred abroad without suitable safeguards.
When we collect any personal data from you, we will inform you why we are collecting your data and what we intend to use it for.
Where we collect any sensitive data, we will take appropriate steps to ensure that we have explicit consent to hold, use and retain the information. Sensitive data is personal data about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sex life, details of the commission or alleged commission of any offence and any court proceedings relating to the commission of an offence.
If you choose to complete one of our on-line forms the personal information you provide will be used by Standard Life Wealth and other members of Standard Life Aberdeen group to enable us to answer your queries and to provide you with information about the products that are of interest to you. It may also be used to monitor the progress of your enquiry within Standard Life Wealth and to register any subsequent sale of any of our products about which you have enquired. We may also use such information to update our website for you and to keep you informed of further product information and site developments if you have indicated any such preference.
If you complete a retail product application form, Standard Life Investments (Mutual Funds) Limited will use the personal information you have given by completing this form to set up and administer your investment including purchasing shares in your selected fund(s) and providing valuations and making payments.
If you have appointed a financial adviser to act on your behalf, we will make details of the investment available to him and also send copies of correspondence to him where appropriate to enable him to give you advice.
We have a responsible marketing policy and do not give your details, or details of related individuals, to any other company outside Standard Life Aberdeen group. You may be contacted by other companies within Standard Life Aberdeen group with details of other products or services. If you do not wish to be marketed in this way you can write to the Data Protection Co-ordinator at Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH1 2DH or at the contact address of the Standard Life Aberdeen group company concerned (quoting your full name, date of birth and policy or account number if known).
Under the Act you may write to the Data Protection Co-ordinator as above and request a copy of the information which we hold about you. We reserve the right to charge the maximum fee payable in terms of the Act for providing this information. If the details are inaccurate you can ask us to amend them.